Tuesday, March 1, 2011

NES-tolgia

  After covering some of my favorite Nintendo 64 games, I thought I would mix it up and do some NES games. Just like the other posts, this is not a best of list, only some of my favorites that I played as a kid, and in no particular order.


   Ice Hockey.  This is the first sports game I ever played, and it was great. It's surprisingly fun and incredibly frustrating. You pick your country, and then choose your team from, fat guys, medium guys, and skinny guys. skinny guys are faster than the others, but fat guys mow down anyone in their path. You can even fight in this game.


   Excitebike. I covered the 64 version already, but this is the superior game, in my opinion. You race on tracks solo, or with other riders, trying to get the fastest time. You have to avoid objects and oil spills, hit ramps and turbo boosters. There is also a track editor where you can design your own tracks.



   Contra. Everyone knows Contra. It's a side scrolling shooter game which changes to a third person view during some parts of the game. The best part about the game was that it had co-op. It's the first co-op game I ever played and still one of the best. The game is so big, even the cheat code is famous.



   The Legend of Zelda. There isn't much I can say about this game that hasn't been said already. It's our introduction into one of the largest game franchises of all time Zelda. You play as Link trying to rescue the princess Zelda, if you haven't played this game and you're a fan of Zelda I recommend giving it a try.


    
   Metroid. Another shooter game. Metroid is just awesome, you run around in this large environment collecting upgrades for your weapons and your power suit. So that you can defeat the Mother Brain. This game is huge for a NES game, I've spent so much time trying to figure out where I was or where I was supposed to be going.
 

 
   Ok thats five NES games, I'm going to try to cover more in the future. Leave me a comment of some of your favorite NES games, and I'll try to put them on the list, or try it out if I haven't played it before.

18 comments:

  1. dude I remember playing metroid when I was a kid, I only finished it in an emulator later though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those games were awesome. The one I played a lot was the first Mario Bros. It took me a long time to finally finish that game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I played that ice hockey game at a friend's house...it had very distinctive sounds haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This games look great. It very sad that I dont have NES when I was a child. Sure I can play this game now on emulators, but it not the most

    ReplyDelete
  5. I played the crap out of ice hockey and contra. also played a lot of festers quest. not sure why. never ever beat the second boss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking back at all those games, the one I think I actually played the most out of them was Ice Hockey. There was just something fun and addictive and replayable about it. I didn't have to try to figure out where I was at or start the story all over again whenever I picked it up. It was simple, joyful fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy shit so much nostalgia o_O. Excite bike.. I spent so much time building my own levels on that ;D
    GREAT blog, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Metroid is most ultimate.

    Otherwise... I remember the graphics for the hills in excite bike but I think they were also used in a different game, anyone with a clue?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my God, I remember those long adolescent nights of locking myself in my room with just the TV and this console. I think my favorite, crazily enough, was Bubble Bobble. It was one of those games that you could play doubles with your girlfriend, and you both have a lot of fun between stages...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man so much nostalgia. It's funny because today was one of my childhood friend's birthday, and I was reminiscing about all the time we spent playing these old games. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The feeling of nostalgia running through my body right now..

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome. Check out my article on new emulator on droids. Www.rootyourdroid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excitebike use to be my favorite back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cried a little when I saw these screenes :')

    ReplyDelete
  15. i actually never had a NES, but my neightbour had one and i went there to play all the time, i used to have a SNES tho

    ReplyDelete
  16. absolutely SOLID list. I was hoping you added ice hokey as soon as i saw the title. fat vs skinny!

    umm, paperboy?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, this shit is highly oldschool. I've never owned NES (or any other console), but some of my friends did. We played my PC when at my place or their NESes and SNESes and such at theirs. Therefore I have plenty of memories about "that game where you...", but don't really know many titles. Battle City (more commonly known as Tanks) and Joust come to mind.

    Also I only recently understood the technology of the pistol that you could attach to one of the NESes or their clones - brilliant in its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete