Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cartoon Characters

   I may be 22 years old, but I still love to watch cartoons. Cartoons tend to run longer than live action shows. One of the reason is because no one changes unless the writers want them too. Babies stay babies, old people don't get older, everyone stays the same age. A good example is Maggie from The Simpson who has been a baby for 21 years. Anyway, I'm going to talk about five of my favorite characters, I'm only going  to pick one per show.



   Bender from Futurama. Everyone loves Bender, but not as much as he loves himself. Bender is an "alcoholic, whore-mongering, chain-smoking gambler". He was built in Mexico as a girder bending unit, but you rarely see him doing any kind of work, outside of drinking booze and partying Bender-style. "Bender is the greatest!" -Bender.


   Goku from the Dragon Ball meta series. A lot of people would argue that Goku is an "Anime" character, but lets be honest anime=cartoon, anime is a sub-genre, Japanese style cartoon. Anyway, Goku is the ultimate hero. He is completely selfless, and only fights to protect those he loves and cares about. He doesn't have much depth, and is fairly two-sided. He is either pissed off and kicking ass, or he is happy and having fun and shoveling food down his throat, there is really no in-between with this guy.  "It would be meaningless to fight with you now. You're too scared and ashamed. Live with the shock. Keep it bottled up inside you. Silently." -Goku


   Butters from South Park. Butters is just hilarious, he is a nerd who always catches the shitty end of the stick, but it never brings down his indomitable spirit. Other characters in the show are always trying to get Butters to do the leg-work in their schemes, which he usually does. He is in constant fear of being grounded by his over-bearing parents, for often trivial things.  "Well, thanks for inviting me into your clique, but I'd rather be a crying little pussy than some faggy Goth kid" -Butters


   Dale Gribble from King of the Hill. Dale is a chain smoking, gun toting, paranoid exterminator/bounty hunter. He spends most of his time drinking in the alley, exterminating bugs, hanging out at the gun club, or locked in his basement mulling over multiple conspiracy theories. He's a fairly naive guy who has been tricked into raising a son who is not his. "I killed eight gophers last year and a purebred Tennesse walking horse that was looking at me funny." -Dale Gribble


   SpongeBob SquarePants from SpongeBob SquarePants. SpongeBob is a naive, innocent, happy-go-lucky guy. He lives in a pineapple beside his best friend Patrick, and Squidward. He finds joy and excitement from the most mundane things, like his job at the Krusty Krab. He rarely has a negative thought about anything or anyone, and it sometimes gets him into trouble. "It was his hat, Mr. Krabs! He was #1!" -SpongeBob


   Ok, that's five characters for you, I may do more in the future but probably not. Feel free to leave a comment on some of  your own favorites.

22 comments:

  1. Dale Gribble is awesome... or should I say Rusty Shackleford. Also, Dr. Rockso from Metalocalypse is pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of Dr. Zoidberg from futurama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make more about Futurama characters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. whaaaat. i didn't know that bender was a mexican robot.

    dale gribble is supposed to be a cross between mike judge and hunter s. thompson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post !

    Love Bender and Butters myself..
    Poor little guy get's grounded all the time. :D

    -Koal0r

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you should feel bad, dude. I turn 38 in a couple of weeks and all my favorite shows that are out right now are pretty much animated. Adult Swim has to be one of the greatest entertainment phenomenon to come out of our country in decades!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Bender B. Rodriguez ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you forgot about ufo and conspiracy theories for Dale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love adult swim as well. Some robot chicken mmmm :) good post following!

    If you're into electronic music, check out my set I just released today!
    Electric Addict Set #3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replace Butters with Cartman and its all good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cartoons are teh goddamn best. Check out my new blog! puzzledyet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a fantastical selection. I agree wholeheartedly with you, especially with Bender and Goku. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't agree that anime=cartoons, they carry a different... essence... anyway yeah, Dragon Ball is awesome man, so is Futurama and South Park

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goku is my favourite of all time and nobody could even try to beat him. Maybe Luke Skywalker (I know he's not from a cartoon), but I don't know whether a lightsabre would be able to cut through a saiya-jin's body.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like Bender and Spongebob too. I started to wathc "King of the hill" and it looks funny

    ReplyDelete