Thursday, February 17, 2011

Nintendo 64 Nostalgia

   Earlier this week I posted a blog about NFL Blitzso I figured I would post some of my other favorite N64 games, mainly for the nostalgia. This list is not necessarily a "best games" list, just some of my favorites that I remember, and in no particular order.

 Let me get some of the obvious ones out of the way first.

   The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Out of the two N64 Zelda games, I can't really pick a favorite, but I'm going to put Majora's Mask on this list because it doesn't get the praise that it deserves, while Ocarina gets plenty of praise. The 3 day system really made the world feel alive, and made you feel like you had an actual impact on it. I really enjoyed the mask system, being able to play some of the classic Zelda races. And the Fierce Deity Mask was just bad ass.

   Mario 64. Theres nothing I can really say about this game that hasn't been said already. It was Mario's jump into a 3 dimensional world. It showed us how good a 3D platformer could be. Yoshi even makes an appearance when you collect all the stars.

   GoldenEye 007. Another game that everyone knows and loves. GoldenEye was the grandaddy of 3D multiplayer FPS games. Going back and playing it now, this is one of the few games that just hasn't really aged well, mainly due to the controls. But back in the day GoldenEye was king.

   Banjo-Kazooie. Another 3D platformer. A bird and a bear team up to save Banjo's little sister Tooty from the evil witch Gruntilda. This game is just awesome. It's funny, the characters are great, the music is great. You can shoot eggs, fly and smash things, and visit the local witch doctor who will transform you into something useful. But what really stands out in this game for me, is the environment. Each level is very well done, and feels very involved. My favorite was Click Clock Wood, I loved that place.

   
 Jet Force Gemini. Yes another Rare game. Jet Force Gemini is a sci fi, third person shooter. You travel around from planet to planet collecting things to save your friends, or something like that I don't really remember the plot. The plot isn't really important, what is important is the game play. With lots of awesome guns, 3 playable characters (one being a flying dog with lazers on his back), and a co-op mode, this game truly is a gem...imi. Although it does suffer the same dated controls as GoldenEye.


   Okay thats 5 games, I'm going to end it here even though I'm not even a quarter of the way though my list I made. If you guys want to see some more, leave a comment and let me know.

  For part 2 click here.
  For part 3 click here.
  For part 4 click here.




34 comments:

  1. I still remember going to my friends house and playing Golden Eye. Those were some good days :/
    Even if he was a god damned Sega-less traitor.

    Long live Sonic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh myy! I haven't thought of jet force jemini in soooooo long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mario and Legend of Zelda were fantastic.

    Sometimes I miss my childhood...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bought Mario Party 64 for the DS a while back. :) Brought back many good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lot of memories in some of these games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh god, nostalgia'ed hard, I loved GoldenEye!
    The AK 47 looked like a pencil coming out of a black sleeve :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Its mee mario", i played this game day and night but my little brother deleted my gamestats ;(

    ReplyDelete
  8. testris 64. I played that game for hours. Dont forget Star Fox. One of the best flying games ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Golden Eye, Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Zelda (Ocarina!!) and let's not forget MARIO KART!! These games are classics and will NEVER get old. I've plugged in the N64 over the past few years once in a while JUST to get some of the legit old school gaming done right!

    Now that I've gotten older, I realize that beer + Mario Kart or SSB equals a SUPER GOOD time!!

    Following and supporting

    http://garagezoku.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite things to do is speedrun Mario 64. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rare were (are?) just really solid game producers. I loved all the games on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i don't play Super Mario for ages. I miss those times

    ReplyDelete
  13. That figurine looks too much like sephiroth.

    I've been spamming super smash brothers on an emulator for the last few days, epic oldschool game.

    Great blog and interesting content. Followed.

    Check me out at:
    http://hilariousimagesdaily.blogspot.com/
    or:
    http://riotoflegends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Majora's Mask and Jet Force Gemini. Sooo much nostalgia omg.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh dearrr, I played most of these games on N64, man now I want to time travel back to the past just to play them again haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dude, I think my thumb misses that kick ass controller more than anything LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved to play pokemon on my N64 back in time .

    I miss it so much . Maybe I will take out from garage and play some .

    ReplyDelete
  18. i hated the majora's mask, for me it was just monotonous, loved ocarina tho, as for mario well, its mario, hes awesome, and i loved the other 3, specially JFG, i was more into anything we could enjoy in multiplayer, mariokart64, bomberman64, mario"insertsportnamehere", etc

    ReplyDelete
  19. forgot about pokemon puzzle league, that one might be my favorite N64 game, we still play it every now and then

    ReplyDelete
  20. All are very classic games. Played them all except Jetforce such good times....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goldeneye, a freakin' classic man. Good list, seeing these games brought back some memories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mariokart 64 was the bomb! For some reason, I didn't enjoy majora's mask as much as I thought I would, but that was after playing Ocarina, best game ever.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Big ass Perfect Dark and Goldeneye 64 fan here, some of best gaming expierences I have had! Speed strafing slapping, golden guns, dark sims, cheats, sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice memories. Especially Mario, Majora's Mask and Golden Eye.

    ReplyDelete
  25. "it's me, Mario" it was a perfect game.
    following

    ReplyDelete
  26. dude banjo kazooie, banjo tooie, mario 64 and zelda were all awesome games that bring back nostalgia! i remember mario kart too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jet force Gemini, !
    Loved it !
    I was really disappointed that "Hey Pikachu" wasn't realised where I live :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. you make me feel nostalgic man!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just wish the controller wasnt so shit and laggy. love the N64 though

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice memories. Totally Nostalgic now

    ReplyDelete
  31. Last night I played Mario kart 64 then went to a bar and randomly ended up going back to some girls place and playing Mario kart on Wii and drinking. fuckin hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  32. In this list of games i played all games..Really all games are very interesting to play... specifically Mario game is more interesting to play..

    ReplyDelete